Inspirations

Inspirations
The color you see is the color you get!

Saturday, July 27, 2013

deliquesce tones...

Hello my wonderful friends!

I'm going to let you in on a little secret of my crafting life... I've become slightly addicted to stencils. 

So much so, that I am always making more to feed my addiction...and I have quite a large folder in my Silhouette library dedicated JUST to stencils.

True story.

I do buy stencils as well, but they can really add up, so for a lot of my stencils, I use my Silhouette or Cricut to cut designs out of transparencies you can buy at an office supply store. They are a little thin and flimsy, so if you want to work with heavier mediums, you can pick up some stencil material for your stencils.  However, I find that they generally do the job just fine. 

The fun thing about making your own is that you can have several of the same design just different sizes! 


My last tutorial shared one way I use stencils, here's another... 

Tone on Tone with Deliquesce and Stencils

Step 1: Lay your stencil down over your paper. (Kraft works really well for this!) You may want to tape your stencil down here, but you can just hold it if ya want.  

Step 2: Cover the entire thing with clear embossing ink. You can do this by pressing the ink pad directly onto the paper, or you can use a sponge. Just make sure you get inside all the nooks and crannies of the stencil!

Step 3: Carefully remove the stencil. Now, move your piece onto a piece of scratch paper and cover with Clear Deliquesce by Creative Inspirations Paint.  Once you get a nice layer, carefully tap off extra onto your scratch paper and return to the jar.

Step 4: Heat the powder and you will see a fabulous tone on tone! I love how this looks!

Step 5: If you want to keep going, the Deliquesce design you just melted... it will now act as a resist!  Yup, go ahead and paint or ink over it and it will wipe off the embossed design!  I added some random strokes of Antique Silver Creative Inspirations Paint to my gears for a little grungy shimmer. :)

Step 6: If you want to Stamp over your design and have it NOT act as a resist like I did here, you need to use an ink such as StazOn or Ranger's Archival Ink. They will dry on the nonporous surface and be nice and permanent. 

(check out that shimmer!!!)


Enjoy!



Supplies Used
Paper: Kraft, My Minds Eye
Stamps: Tattered Angel "Tattered Traveler Clock"
Ink: VersaMark, Archival
Creative Inspirations: Deliquesce "Clear", Paint "Antique Silver"
Stencil: Silhouette "Gear & Cogs"

4 comments:

Michelle H. said...

Gorgeous!! Love that you used embossing powder with your stencils I never though to use the powders with the stencils!
I've used the glitters and everything else!
Amazing & Awesome idea!!

LindaS said...

Gorgeous card. I really like the clock on the fabuleos background.

Shea said...

Gorgeous!! And I love that you used ep with the stencil - can't wait to try it!!

Dana Tatar said...

Great technique Kassi! Thanks for the tutorial! =)